Just my small section of the internet...

Wednesday 21 December 2011

"If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong."- Arthur C. Clarke

My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles and Proudfoots.


Today is my 24th post!

Alas, twenty-four posts is far too short a time to post among such excellent and admirable hobbits. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I, uh, I h-have things to do. So this won't be too long a post! (Nothing like the previous one, well done if you got through all of that and feel free to comment)

So, yesterday I got back from the windy city. This was my last trip while in the U.S. (apart from the trip home, but I'm not counting that one). Unfortunately I didn't actually get to see any of Chicago itself, I did get to spend lots of time at Argonne National Lab (after they eventually decided to let a quite-frankly dangerous alien, possible criminal in). We were part of an experiment at ATLAS, since this isn't really meant to be a science blog I'll just say it was a fast timing experiment using some LaBr detectors, to study lifetimes in 181Au, people can read up more on that with the fantasticness that is google, or Phys Rev.


I spent most of the time there finishing off bits of my paper and got to play small amounts of the new Old Republic game as well as good old Skyrim! This was really good, kinda glad that I got to take my laptop!

We also managed to get down the pub a few times (definitely enough) for some farwell drinks with Nathan and Volker. Also finished up what was hopefully my last night shift ever on monday morning! Fingers crossed...


Right, so this will be the last blog post which I will be making from here in the U.S. Fortunately for all of you, I will be continuing this blog from the U.K. for those people in NEW England who want to keep up to date on what I am doing in OLD England, (or Wales).
This has been a fantastic year, full of wonderful experiences. I would like to thank pathfinder people again, mainly Ben and David for getting me into rpgs this year. Everyone at the lab, including those who visited and made for some great nights out and helped me along with my project, even if that was just loads of table football (which is what I need to start calling it!) Everyone at Nexus who kept my board gaming at a more than acceptable and generally the American populace for being so very welcoming and friendly. :)

I will miss America, it's wonderful sights and food (Buffolo wings). Looking forward to getting back to England now though. Looking forward to seeing Soph a lot now! Only like 3 days now!
And so,
I regret to announce — this is The End. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell.
Goodbye...


Achievement Unlocked!

No comments: