Just my small section of the internet...

Wednesday 2 November 2011

"Punch it, Chewie!" - Han Solo, Star Wars- Heir to the Empire

So it's onto my third audiobook review.
Feeling like getting my geek on a little more than usual I went for Star Wars- Heir to the Empire (Part one).

This is a sequel to the well known and well loved Star Wars Trilogy. (Yes, there are only 3 true Star Wars films.)

Set 5 years after The Return of the Jedi, the story follows all well loved characters from the films in their new struggled to hold the peace of the New Republic. Adding some new fruitful and interesting characters to the story helps keep this fresh, while not feeling out of place in any way...





As the title suggests, the story also follows an Imperial Grand Admiral and his mission to win back control of the galaxy over from Rebel Scum, but I'll try not to give too much away...

So, my main loves of this book:

Firstly it was certainly the continuation of the Star Wars story, which I have always felt to be somewhat incomplete. I personally love stories that continue on way after the final battle is won and the antagonist defeated, as people will know from my love of the David Eddings and J.R.R. Tolkien stories. This answered many questions from the films, which were left irritatingly unanswered and managed to use most of them as clever plot devices.

Secondly, the production of this audiobook was impressive. Not only does Marc Thompson have an impressive array of voices, sounding increadiably close to Mark Hammil,  Harrison Ford and even  Carrie Fisher! Add that to the laser shots in the background, the sound of the forest, R2D2 whistles and the well loved lightsaber sounds and this is a story you can easily lose yourself in.

Overall this is a complelling read, one which you can get stuck listening to for hours, very well written and read. Definitely a good pick! I am greatly looking forward to the unabridged release of the second book on audible, which I will snap up immediately, since this left such a massive cliffhanger that I need to know what goes on next!


On other notes I have much stuff to update this blog with, including visit from Miss Franklin, the DNP conference and probably some gaming conventions soon! So stay tuned for when I have time to do those!

My next audiobook will be Rides a Dread Legion by Raymond E. Feist, I am getting a little behind, but work has calmed down slightly now after the DNP and I should be able to keep up with the audiobooks.

and now for a classic...


                                                              ^
Also, now on over 1,000 views. Awesome! ^
Achievement Unlocked!

No comments: