Just my small section of the internet...

Monday 11 April 2011

"Fly, you fools!" Gandalf- J.R.R Tolkien

Hey everyone. I'm back again. 
Just thought I would quickly have a mention of things to come her in the US. 
This is honestly not a shameless effort to guilt or force people into coming to visit me. I just thought I would let people know some of the big events which I am hoping to get myself to this year, to take advantage of my vicinity to some of the best events in the world. Right here in the United States. 
Incidentally if anyone fancies coming to these events with me, that would be awesome. Just let me know asap, even if you are just thinking about it, so I can know in advance. 


Okay, so my number one event to do this year:
GenCon 2011: August 4-7. 

http://www.gencon.com/2011/indy/default.aspx
"The Best 4 Days in Gaming"
This is pretty much perfect for me, the largest gaming convention in the world. Held in Indianapolis, Indiana. It features many brand new board games, rpgs that fill around 5 hotels, true dungeon runs and everything else immensely awesome. 
This is something that I have always wanted to go to, some kind of massive gaming convention, and this is about as big as it gets! 


A close second comes
Dave Matthews Band Caravan: July 8-10. 
http://www.dmbcaravan.com/
Okay, so this one is a slightly longer story. Basically, during the exam period during the first half of my third year, I was attempting to revise as best I can and realized that I wasn't revising as well when I had my favorite music playing. Thus for this reason and for the sake of broadening my musical horizons I ran a small competition on facebook, some of you will know it as BONNANZATRON! 
Basically each day 5 people would give me a band to listen to, one which I had never listened to before. I would make a Spotify playlist from those 5 bands and listen to that all day. I then chose my favorites and awarded a point to those people. Through this I heard about Dave Matthews Band, thanks to Christopher Smith. 
(Incidentally the contest was won by Guy, who still has yet to claim his prize)
 Dave Matthews Band are an American rock band, featuring, you guessed it: Dave Matthews. It is a fairly large band and is teaming up with a large variety of awesome performers to put on 4 big weekend concerts across the States. 
I would also very much like to see Chicago, so since this event is right in the center of Chicago, it will give me a perfect opportunity to see the Windy City! 
If someone fancies seeing this then check out the band on Spotify, I recommend "You might die trying" and many of the other awesome songs!




Next on the list of things to do is for me to visit New York. 
I know that this isn't exactly an event, but it is something which I very much want to get around to, especially since it is only just over an hour away by train. 
I assume that I will be visiting this while Soph is visiting, but I'm sure there is far more to do in New York than can be done in a couple of days visiting. I will also try and see Mark Aaron James play if he has any gigs in New York once he is back in the US. (Very disappointed that I am missing him playing back at f55 in Guildford). 




So, yes people, we move back to gaming conventions. A little closer to home this time. 
Connecticon: July 8-10. 
"A Massively Multigenre Convention" 
http://connecticon.org/
Firstly, people may notice that these are the same dates as the Dave Matthews Band Chicago event. Well done to these people. Very observant. Firstly I will look at when the August and September DMB dates are and where there are in the US and see if either of those are easier. Secondly, this is still a backup. Which I will go to if I don't go to the Dave Matthews Band event. 


Anyway, this is probably the largest gaming convention in Connecticut. It boasts a wide variety of games from Apples and Apples to Zooleretto, plus A Game of Thrones, Age of Mythology, Amun Re and Antike! This is still a fairly large convention with over 7,000 people attending in 2010, so it should be a really awesome weekend if I go. 






North American Games Day 2011: July 30th
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=5800004a
Okay, so Wargaming here in the US isn't what it is in the UK. This means that I am taking a break from actually playing and collecting the game, unfortunately. This doesn't mean that I don't still follow the Hobby (new Tomb Kings look awesome) and am not very interested in going to the North American Games Day. It's held in Chicago again and is the largest celebration of everything Games Workshop in the world. It will feature huge battles, the latest releases and lots of hanging out with other fans of the Hobby! 




I will also attempt to visit the following places. This could be just for a weekend or when my parents visit near the end of the summer. 
Boston
Washington D.C. 
Hartford
I'm also aiming to go to other gaming conventions, but will let the blog know when I actually book those. 


Once again, I hope people enjoyed this installment of The Hinternet. Incidentally, the BONNANZATRON playlist is on my spotify account. I'm not sure how you guys can access it, since I don't know all that much about spotify. 
So if any of these sound as awesome to you as they do to me, let me know somehow and I'll try and sort something out. Note that tickets to most of these (especially GenCon) go really fast and so sooner would be awesome!


Achievement Unlocked!

No comments: